Friday, January 26, 2007

Farewell, Grandin.



You've always been the soft spot in my heart, from the first time we came to sit in your gazebo, one late night eating watermelon and pizza and driving around until we found you, us unknowing young suburbanites. then it was all through university, where I would park at the mezzanine, second floor, and walk down through the park and house lined street, through the gazebo in the park and across the highlevel to be at the foot of humanities. every morning and every night, for four years, at best. and worse. meeting up with friends in your park, where neither of us lived, to start our sojourn across the city. then, moving in, at last, calling grandin home, with the light filtering through your large aged elms and a certain beauty in your street scape. trolley train running past underneath my windowpanes as well as 109 St brouhaha. living close to martini's and zuppa's was charming for a while, late night/early morning stumbles were easy, but maybe not altogether necessary. the petite elderly woman behind the tailor's desk never did warm up either. fire alarms in the building, awkward elevator rides, and creepers left and right have soured my feelings for you, grandin. in time, I will of course meet up again in your park in your gazebo. see that light again through your elms early in the morning and just before evening. but for now, I bid adieu and farewell, grandin.

5 comments:

tish said...

well, it's gonna suck for me - you being gone from the neighborhood. who's gonna jaunt down to Martini's on a minutes notice ...
i sure loved your balcony too. seriously dope view!!

BUT, downtown is sure gettin' weird and sad lately.

can't wait to see your new place ::

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy,
Remember me? I'm friends with Ali D. How's the new place treating you?

I am looking to share a writing workspace with 1 or 2 other people and thought you might know of people that would be interested. Let me know. It would be cool to hang out again.
Alicia has me contact info.
Jodie

Anonymous said...

hey jodie,
yeah I remember, you should come to the mile zero salon this weekend (9 & 10) at #201, 10923 – 101 St. (behind sceppa's up stairs). I haven't talked to acd for a while with all the moving and all. come on out to the show, starts at 8pm sharp.

acd said...

beautiful pic of the leg in the friscillating dusk light.
and who is anonymous? a salespreson?

Anonymous said...

yuor synopsis of the neighbourhood is right on, methinks. living there for 3 years now, I know of the places you speak - though I've not been soured yet. the fire alarms and plumbing troubles have ruined my building for me but not the neighbourhood. I'm not sure I can part with martini's, zuppa, or 112 st bistro - or the legislature g grounds. I think the oliver neighbourhood is the only one for me.