Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Frank O'Hara

Peering into the postcard shop on granville island yesterday, after a fruitless day of walking around downtown Vancouver as I always do when I arrive, and when I leave, who is looking back out from a black and white portrait in a wicker chair and tight long sleeve black shirt than none other than heart of all hearts, Frank O'Hara.
A true flaneur of the 20th century, like no other writer who wrote simultaenously with heavy and light heartedness to dear beloved friends about friends, movies, lunch, and art, oh, need I say more.

this reminds me, I must take a photo of City Trust for Daniel, who I also picked up a copy of the postcard for. all for his wedding gift, reminders of the city he left, he once roamed, as mummified mementos that can now just hang on his wall rather than in his heart.

this blot should really be accredited to him, as he is one of the wo walkers in the photo in the original post, and probably someone who has walked this city on all levels more than any other person I know. To find Frank in a postcard, for some reason, really bookends a certain era that never really began, but certainly faded.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your impressions of Vancouver this visit?

i saw Daniel outside of Famoso Pizzeria a couple weeks ago. he was smiling::

Amy Fung said...

vancouver rarely leaves an impression for me, this time even less so. I don't know why, but as beautiful as it is, I've never been in love with the place.

I visited famoso on a lunch break and their oven wasn't working. la shish it was--client meetings in the afternoon, bad news.