Wednesday, November 15, 2006

getting in on this ipod culture (or walkman if you remember them)


"Watch Out Where Yer Going!"

so I'm trying to reconcile the action of walking and listening to music. as someone who absolutely loves driving around to tunes, not just any ol' radio tunes or albums, but specially crafted mixes for specially conceived journeys--including aimless wanderings of the motorized kind.

you've heard it all before, the drifting landscape somehow finding syncopation with with the tunes blasting out of your scratchy over-trebled speakers . . . blah blah blah. I do love it, but walking and listening? I hate it. Puts me completely off kilter to each step I take, like I'm moving out of time. plus, it makes me more unaware of all the bad drivers around in this hopelessly pedestrian-unfriendly city.

Taking a walk usually clears my head, gets me thinking, but that little joy vanishes if I put on headphones. Come to think of it, I've never worn headphones unless I was completely still. Sitting, lying in the middle of my floor, getting to know a record or just content to be alone. Ah, but maybe I just like listening to the city noise, never crazy busy, but always loud on account of there being no big buildings around to absorb the noise. it's quiet except for my own shuffle steps and the odd angry driver, and I prefer it that way.

No comments: