Monday, November 13, 2006

sandwiches for everyone


went to the new southside ital centre with the intent of buying and eating their deliciously processed italian sandwiches. 7 dollars for a gigantic meaty sandwich. I gave a quarter to sarah p and carly gave a quarter to the other sarah p (the shorter one) and like wolves, we downed our 'wiches in no time. poor fools we were! not picking up any orangina, that delicate balance of calcium/vitamin c fighting against the sodium nitrate, c and I were pretty hurtin' at hair of the dog. the performance may have sent me walking out, but it was the sandwich and beer that sent me napping.

that was saturday.

on thursday, explored the portugese bakeries on 118 for sandwiches. had not one, but two very similiar meat sandwiches on a crusty bun. first one was roast beef that was most unsatisfactory. typical and not exceptional in any way. 3.50. the next one on the corner of 93 was far better in its capicollo offerings. 3.50 as well. they must be aware. consumed within 15 minutes of each other, the 7 dollar battle goes to saturday for knocking me flat on my ass whereas thursday was mild discomfort.

and then there was of course tuesday, vietmanese sandwiches w/ tishkoff in a record shop. the tunes were bobby d and the flavour was mouth-on-fire hot. what is it about sandwiches that makes them so fantastic? earl sandwich, I salute you time and time again.

2 comments:

tish said...

having a friend bring you a great little sandwich, late-afternoon, is a special thing!
and then to have 'visions of johanna' as the backdrop ... very nice.
i'm diggin' your investigative-sandwich journalism :::

Amy Fung said...

my shame . . . I went for another ital sandiwch yesterday, but vegetarian. well, I went with a vegetarian. but that fact isn't all that important since a lot of veggies succumb to meat sandwiches. anyways, shared a sandwich so piled with harvarti it could only be described as 'meaty'. that's the way ted likes things . . .
we went to drop off promo at red ribbon after and I was still covered in sandwich crumbs, but that didn't stop us from horfing down freshly shipped cookies at starbucks. will all of my entries orbit around food? very likely.